Galway Film Centre in association with the BAI and WRAP Fund has launched Ireland’s newest podcast The CrewCall Podcast. Hosted by Galway’s Linda Bhreathnach, the six-part series features creative talent from often underexplored areas of the Irish film & television industry. For anyone with an interest in the booming sector, the podcast gives listeners the chance to learn from experts in their field including Mary Pike, Eimear O’Grady, Linda Gannon, Steve Lynch, Peadar Cox and Barry Conroy.
Helmed by Linda Bhreathnach who herself is an award-winning writer, director and actress, each episode delves into the craft, career trajectories and anecdotes of a diverse range of professionals from critical fields in screen production which are not regularly spotlighted ranging from stunts to music to lighting. The guests include:
- Barry Conroy (Gaffer)
- Peadar Cox (Dialect Coach, Translator, Writer & Actor)
- Linda Gannon Foster (Hair Designer)
- Steve Lynch (Composer)
- Eimear O’Grady (Stuntwoman & Stunt Coordinator)
- Mary Pike (3D Modeller, Set Designer & Draftsperson)
For Linda Bhreathnach, “it has been a great honour to be the presenter of this series. I am passionate about Westerners having sustainable jobs within the film industry, so I was thrilled to have the opportunity to talk to these great guests and share their inspiring stories. I hope that the listeners will learn more about all the exciting career options within our industry and find encouragement from our guests to help develop their own work”.
All six episodes are freely available from today (09th March,2022) on Spotify and other usual podcast platforms. Join in the conversation on social media by using the #GFCCrewCallPodcast.
The CrewCall Podcast is brought to audiences by Galway Film Centre in association with the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) and Western Region Audiovisual Producers Fund (WRAP Fund).
About The Host
Linda Bhreathnach is an Irish writer, director, and actress. From Ros Muc, Connemara in the West of Ireland, she played the part as Róise de Burca in the long-running soap opera Ros na Rún. Bhreathnach also had a starring role in the critically acclaimed political drama The Running Mate and in the BBC/TG4 drama Seacht / Seven. She wrote and directed the short film Adulting, among other awards it won best short film at the London Irish Film festival, and she won a Rising Star Award with Irish Screen America (New York and Los Angeles) for her work on it. In 2017, she wrote and directed Native, a short film shot in Ireland starring Patrick Bergin. In 2018, Bhreathnach released the short film My Mother Is My Priest. The film is described as a ‘celebration of mothers’ and was released by Linda Bhreathnach Films. More recently, Linda wrote the screenplay Girleen, a contemporary film on the life of women and girls in the modern world and is now the proud host of The CrewCall Podcast.
About the Guests
- Barry Conroy - Barry is a Gaffer with an extensive career in the Irish industry who has worked on productions such as Frank, The Lobster, Free Fire, Dublin Murders, Finding Joy, and Foundation, to name a few.
- Peadar Cox - Peadar is an Irish language script translator, writer, actor, and dialect coach. He has worked on productions such as Calm With Horses, Pilgrimage, Black 47, & An Bronntanas. Peadar also an IFTA nominated actor and is currently a scriptwriter on Ros na Rún.
- Linda Gannon Foster – Based in Galway, Linda is a Hair Designer, who has worked on some great productions including Dublin Oldschool, Deadstill, Foundation, Fate: The Winx Saga and more recently Elizabeth Banks’s Cocaine Bear. In 2020, Linda was nominated for two Irish Film & Television Awards. And alongside Liz Byrne, she took home the award for Best Hair & Makeup for her work on Gretel & Hansel.
- Steve Lynch – Steve is a Composer, known for Irish films like Finky, Let Us Pray & recently Boys From County Hell. Living in Galway, Steve also writes his own song and works extensively in commercials both for Irish and International market.
- Eimear O’Grady - Eimear is a Stuntwomen, Stunt Coordinator, and proud president of The Stunt Guild Ireland. Based in Galway, Eimear’s credits are endless, including stunt work on TV Series like The Tudors, Vikings, Rebellion, Penny Dreadful and Ripper Street. More recently, she was the Stunt Coordinator on international productions such as Highflyers, Foundation, The Green Knight, Normal People, The Banshees of Inisherin, and many more.
- Mary Pike - Mary has worked in the Art Department for many high-profile projects in New Zealand’s WETA WORKSHOP including, Avatar, Warcraft, and Mad Max. While closer to home, Mary works as a 3D MODELLER, Set Designer and/or DRAFTSPERSON on productions such as Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Alice Through The Looking Glass & Disenchanted.