In association with the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland and Screen Skills Ireland
Do you have the idea for the next ‘Derry Girls’ or ‘Black 47’?
Galway Film Centre in association with the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland and Screen Skills Ireland are pleased to announce that the Script Mentorship Scheme 2019 is now open. The mentorship, running for its second year, is aimed at writers from and/or currently based in the WRAP* of counties Clare, Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo.
Writers are invited to submit ideas for genres including feature film or TV series (both live action and animation). Three writers will be selected and allotted contact time with script editors from Ireland and the UK over a period of months, as well as receiving an award of €500 each to develop the idea further. Last years mentors included industry experts Andrew Ellard (The IT Crowd, Red Dwarf), Oona O’ Beirn (The Crown), Heather Browning (Dead Still) and Lucy Ryan (Dublin Old School). The writers will also have access to producers and commissioning editors to guide them to the next stage after the mentorship phase.
The scheme will endorse 50:50 gender equality, as well as encouraging diversity of voices and ages and it also aims to nurture ideas generated and located in the region. Writers’ track records as well as the originality and boldness of the ideas submitted and the potential for development will be key criteria in selection of the candidates.
The deadline for application is 3pm on Friday 15th November 2019. Application guidelines are detailed below.
Please email email@example.com for any further information.
*WRAP refers to the Western Region Audiovisual Producer’s Fund, a €2 million regional fund which supports production in the following six counties: Clare, Galway, Roscommon, Mayo, Sligo and Donegal.
- Applicants’ experience must demonstrate at least one of the following: festival or online success; broadcast credits; or work that has acquired funding.
- Applicants may apply as an individual or in teams (a single award of €500 will be available per selected project).
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old. Students in full time education are not eligible.
- Applicants must be from or based in one of the WRAP counties.
- The scheme is open to ideas for a live action or animated feature film or TV series which can be produced, but are not necessarily set in the WRAP counties.
- Applicants may submit up to a maximum of two projects for consideration (only one project per applicant(s) will be selected).
Email the following information to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 3pm on Friday 15th November 2019. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- A one page synopsis of the idea. If your idea is for a TV series, then outline the narrative for the series. (PDF format)
- A sample of your writing up to 15 pages (PDF format)
- A one page CV outlining relevant experience (PDF format)
- A personal statement of up to one page in length (PDF format)
This scheme is run by the Galway Film Centre in association with the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland and Screen Skills Ireland.