What: Science on Screen Information Day
When: Friday 9th March
Time: 10:45am – 1.30pm
Where: Seminar Room, CÚRAM, Centre for Research in Medical Devices, Biomedical Sciences Building, Newcastle Rd, NUI Galway
Registration: Through Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/science-on-screen-information-day-tickets-43031026960
Calling all Documentary Makers: Science on Screen Information Day – Save the Date!
Can Research Cure a Broken Heart?
This year, Galway Film Centre with CÚRAM, the SFI Centre for Research in Medical Devices at NUI Galway are offering funding to filmmakers interested in producing a documentary that engages with research into cardiovascular illnesses and stroke, currently underway at CÚRAM.
The ‘Science on Screen’ scheme, a funding strand for creative documentaries set in the world of science, is now in its third Year. The scheme will 100% fund one 26 minute film with a budget of €35,000 that promotes the public understanding of science.
An information session for filmmakers and producers will be held on Friday March 9th at the Biomedical Sciences Building in NUI Galway. A range of top researchers and clinicians will give an overview of their work, followed by a Q&A and opportunities to discuss ideas with the speakers.
The schedule for the day will include:
- 10.45: Welcome by CÚRAM
- 11.00: William Wijns – Professor in Interventional Cardiology
- 11.20: Niamh Hynes – Vascular & Endovascular Surgical Registrar at the Galway Clinic
- 11.40: Karen Doyle – Lecturer in Physiology and Principal Investigator at CÚRAM
- 12.00: Martin O’ Halloran – Senior Lecturer in Medical Electronics and Director of the Translational Medical Device Lab
- 12.20: CROÍ – Fighting Heart Disease & Stroke
- 12.35: Galway Film Centre – Application Guidelines for Science on Screen
Please note: This years Information Day will not be livestreamed but we will be filming the event and this will be disseminated in the coming weeks.
Since 2016, three films have been made through Science on Screen and they have achieved success both nationally and internationally.
The trailers for previously funded commissions are available to view here: https://www.galwayfilmcentre.ie/2018/02/09/science-on-screen-2018-information-day-save-the-date/