The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) is an intergovernmental organisation that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. Based in Stockholm, Sweden, their mission is to support sustainable democratic change and to assist in democratic reform.
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) is the only global intergovernmental organization with the mission to support sustainable democracy worldwide as its sole mandate. Its vision is to be the primary global actor in sharing comparative knowledge and experience in support of democracy. International IDEA’s objectives are to support stronger democratic institutions and processes, and sustainable, effective and legitimate democracy.
In particular, it aims for:
- Increased capacity, legitimacy and credibility of democracy
- More inclusive participation and accountable representation
- More effective and legitimate democracy cooperation
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise:
- electoral processes,
- constitution building,
- political participation and representation, and
- democracy and development.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
It utilizes comparative knowledge to:
- advance global, regional and national debates on democracy,
- facilitate and substantiate dialogue among global, regional, national and local actors to support democratic change, and
- partner with stakeholders working for democratic reform at the country level.
For more information on International IDEA see their website: www.idea.int.