Date: Saturday September 30th, 2017. (10am – 4.30pm)
Venue: Galway Film Centre, CCAM, Wellpark Road
Cost: €60 (Includes lunch). Please bring your smartphone and charger!
How to sign up: Email 1 page CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, September 11th. Ten participants will be selected.
Participant Profile: Aimed at those who wish to direct for online content and TV using smartphones.
Shooting your next project on a smartphone is now a serious option for many independent filmmakers. More and more journalists are using their smartphone to deliver video content for online and social platforms. This one-day course will teach you the basics of mobile filmmaking for television and also for online and social platforms. You will:
- Learn how to achieve broadcast quality video using a smartphone app
- Shoot video interviews and learn how to frame the subject correctly
- Learn the basics of visual storytelling and how to shot list for your video with participants using their smartphone to film visual sequences, establishing shots and cutaway shots
- Learn how to record audio interviews and use a microphone to get the best sound
- Learn how to use natural lighting as a key light to model and illuminate the subject
- Learn how to use picture composition and rule of thirds
- Learn how to edit your material using a smartphone app
- Learn how to adapt this content for online and social platforms using various smartphone apps to create graphics, effects and subtitles
About the Tutor:
The course tutor, Eleanor Mannion, has worked for RTÉ for over ten years and has produced several short-form features for RTÉ News as a mobile journalist. In 2016 Eleanor filmed and directed a one hour documentary, The Collectors, which broadcast on RTÉ One. This was the first television documentary broadcast in Europe filmed entirely in 4K using an iPhone.
Eleanor has a BSc Degree in Multimedia Studies from Dublin City University and a Masters in Journalism and Media from Griffith College Dublin.