TG4 and the Arts Council/An Chomhairle Ealaíon, in association with Galway Film Centre, are delighted to announce the launch of ‘ilDÁNA’.
‘ilDÁNA’ is designed to support the production of landmark creative documentary films on the arts in Irish. ‘ilDÁNA’ will provide film-makers with an opportunity to make distinctive ambitious works to enrich the TG4 primetime programme schedule and have a national impact with audiences.
“Following an impressive list of award-winning productions funded during our twenty-year collaboration on the Splanc! scheme, TG4 welcomes this new initiative which will ensure that landmark arts documentaries continue in the fabric of TG4’s programme schedule” said Proinsias Ní Ghrainne, Commissioning Editor, TG4.
Films commissioned for ‘ilDÁNA’ will provide a definitive creative treatment of their arts subject. All artistic disciplines will be considered. Contemporary subjects are preferred but contemporary treatments of historical works may also be considered. Two films will be funded with a budget of up to €80,000 each in the first season of the scheme. Both will launch with a dedicated cinema screening and will have a theatrical window before broadcast to a primetime TG4 audience in Spring 2018.
Fionnuala Sweeney, Head of Film in The Arts Council noted “The Arts Council is delighted to build on its long-standing partnership with TG4 with the launch of ilDÁNA. This exciting scheme, with its built-in theatrical window and a dedicated primetime broadcast on TG4, will enable film-makers to make bold and ambitious film works on the arts for Irish audiences”.
Galway Film Centre will administer the commissioning of the ‘ilDÁNA’ films and TG4’s ‘Terms of Trade’ will apply. Representatives from TG4, the Arts Council/An Chomhairle Ealaíon and Galway Film Centre will select the projects for ‘ilDÁNA’.
“Galway Film Centre are extremely happy to be involved in a new scheme with a very healthy budget that will hopefully allow film-makers to take creative risks and make something daring and exciting for both cinema and television” said Declan Gibbons, Galway Film Centre.
Applications must be made to Galway Film Centre no later than 17:00 on March 10th 2017. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted. Submissions, by email only, should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Film duration: 50-70 minutes
- Production Budget: Up to €80,000 per film.
- Format: HD with English subtitles
- Language: Irish or bilingual.
Applications for ‘ilDÁNA’ must include the following:
- A completed ‘ilDÁNA’ commissioning form – click here for .Doc or click here for PDF
- A detailed treatment of the proposal
- A description of the intended creative approach
- An audience strategy that identifies the film’s national TV audience plus any plan for theatrical exhibition (film festival/cinema) if applicable
- A detailed production budget and budget summary (including music and subject clearances, deliverables and marketing materials) – click here
- CVs of the creative team involved in the proposal including director, producer, writer, editor
- Evidence of ownership to include copies of all option and writers agreements entered into in respect of story and script, if applicable to the project
- Written confirmation in the form of clearances and permissions of key subject’s willingness to participate, where applicable
- Three excerpts of the director’s work (not show reel) that inform the proposal
- Any other relevant supporting materials that inform the creative approach to the proposal
TG4 and the Arts Council/An Chomhairle Ealaíon encourage the employment of film practitioners working through the Irish language and require the provision of equitable conditions and fair remuneration for artists involved in the making of the ‘ilDÁNA’ films.
‘ilDÁNA’ films will be selected on the basis of:
- the track record of the applicant
- the artistic vision of the applicant and his/her creative approach to the proposed subject
- the feasibility of the proposal
Additional funding (up to €5K per successful project) may be made available to support theatrical exhibition where a convincing audience strategy is proposed.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to discuss their proposal during the week of March 27th. The award for the series will be made by TG4 and standard commissioning terms will apply to the production agreement.
It is expected that projects will be completed and available for broadcast on TG4 in Spring 2018.